Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Installing IKEA cabinets and backsplash ideas

IKEA cabinets have adjustable legs to help leveling them. This sounds nice, but in practice we found at least two places where the legs were impossible to use. When we installed the big pantry in a tight space We broke a leg, but finally had to build our own frame to make the cabinet sit in a solid way. It is a 24 inch wide, 24 inch deep and 88 inch high pantry not including the legs. We had to slide it in the existing space between 2 walls. It was a pain to turn it up after assembling, and my husband and his father found it hard. With a fixed base it went much faster and the leveling was easier too. I assembled all drawers and we installed the door together. The other place we can't use the legs is the peninsula. Along the wall cabinets are attached to the wall, or as we did, to a wood piece attached to the wall to make it solid. However the peninsula is only attached to a wall a one end. We have to build a wooden base for a peninsula, then level the rest of cabinets to those of the peninsula which are fixed. I ordered the counter and they will come in less than 2 weeks for measurements. In the mean time we can finish assembling cabinets and leveling them. While my husband was building the base, passing cables for TV and Internet and finishing the drywall for backsplash, I went to a tile store for a ceramic for our backsplash. I spent a few hours on Internet looking for backsplash ideas. And it is a difficult piece to select. I had in mind simple subway tile with darker grout. I then found modern flat elongated subway tiles installed in stacked way. I spent a couple hours at the tile store and found this type of tile, which is awesome in glossy finish. We however already have glossy cabinets and the quartz will be glossy. But the style of these tiles is so beautiful, I brought samples home. I had selected two tiles from Soligo Ambiente: one in almond and the other in beige colors. Beige color is nice with the counter which has quartz pieces in that color, and almond is exactly matching the cabinets, so may be not that exciting, but we can play with grout colors to enhance design. Using 1/16 inch spacers would be a good idea too. I also liked at the store two other ceramics: one in cream with tiny tears which made some shine reflection and another one in cream with beige and brown bamboo style tile. The latest could be nice installed with aluminum profile line as an accent. Here is an example from Porcelanosa site: All choices are sort of glossy, but some more than others. But really all together looks good because of the style. We consulted with our friends who have families and all agreed the glossy materials are great to keep clean. At first I had in mind matte tiles, but couldn't find anything I liked. But all our family just loved Soligo Ambiente tiles and they look also nice with soft LEDs light. Anyway I will be waiting for the counter to be installed, then I will bring back samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment